Consider making a difference in your community.
The success of HICAP is achieved through responsible, energetic, trained volunteer counselors who help Medicare beneficiaries in the following areas:
- Providing information/education about Medicare, program benefits and appeal rights
- Assisting in providing Medicare and supplemental claim forms
- Interpreting Medicare supplemental insurance policy benefits, exclusions, coverage and long-term care insurance
- Explaining the “pros” and “cons” of Medicare Advantage plans.
HICAP volunteer counselors receive extensive initial training to learn Medicare. Afterwards there is an in depth internship where knowledge is implemented through incremental co-counseling beside established counselors. During this phase, trainees are supported and strengthened. After completion, registration is made to the California Department of Aging and counselors commit to a minimum of eight volunteer hours per month. Counselors are assigned to specific locations in their community. Throughout the year 24 hours of ongoing training is required and provided through workshops. Volunteer Counselors advise older adults and their families on health insurance rights and choices, and are certified by the California Department of Aging to serve seniors and disabled Medicare beneficiaries who need assistance with Medicare and related problems. HICAP counselors provide factual, unbiased and free information and educational services. If you are interested, contact the Program Manager for more details about the opportunity to make a difference.
- Call the statewide toll free HICAP number 1-800-434-0222 or the local HICAP office 805-928-5663
- Use the form below