Become A Registered HICAP Volunteer
Want to become involved in your community? Consider applying to be a HICAP Volunteer!
The success of HICAP is achieved through the responsible, energetic, trained volunteer counselors who help Medicare beneficiaries by providing one-on-one counseling and:
- Provide information/education about Medicare, program benefits and appeal rights
- Provide assistance to complete Medicare and supplementary claim forms
- Interpret Medicare supplemental insurance policy benefits, exclusions and coverage language, and long-term care insurance
- Explain the “pros” and “cons” of Medicare Advantage plans.
HICAP counselors receive classroom training, plus internship; they then commit to a minimum of eight volunteer hours per month. Volunteers are required to attend subsequent training workshops for a total of twenty hours per year.
Once a volunteer becomes a certified member of HICAP’s counselor corps, they are assigned to a location, usually a senior center or social security office, near their home. Home visits can also be arranged when necessary.
Volunteer Counselors advise older adults and their families on their health insurance rights and choices, and are certified by the California Department of Aging and serve seniors and disabled Medicare beneficiaries who need assistance with Medicare and related problems.
HICAP counselors provide factual, unbiased information. All services are free.
Join us today!
If you are interested and would like to arrange an interview for a local volunteer position you can:
- Call the statewide toll free HICAP number 1-800-434-0222 or the local HICAP office 805-928-5663
- Use the form below
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form